Saturday, February 5, 2011

Its Ok To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher

I think Mr. Fisch reminded me why i came to edm310 class. I am very illiterate when it comes to technology, And i have avoiding it for the last 32 years. Guess what, the only way i can go from an aid to a teacher, is by passing this class. So, was Mr. Fisch right, or what.
This is a challenge i cannot and will not loose. I am blindly plowing forward hoping DR. Strange will perform a miracle. Teach me how to become proficient on the computer. My very lively-hood depends on it. In the post by Mr. Fisch, he spoke about not being able to operate the computer, and being proud of it. Well i wasn't proud of it, I only wanted to make it clear to the person asking, that i did'nt know, but i was willing to learn, if i had to.

2 comments:

  1. Woodie, I think you're well on your way to becoming a technologically literate teacher! I have to remind myself of the privilege I have in being born when I was and having some opportunities to play with computers as early as 11 years old. My mother is approaching her late 50s and is a nurse. As you can imagine, nursing has changed a great deal in the more than 30 years she's been caring for sick people, the most obvious being the advent of technology. Everyone is having trouble adjusting, including her. As teachers we have the ability to play with tools, try and fail, all while stumbling toward learning and literacy. In the medical field mistakes can mean life or death. There's even more stress. I like to remind myself that at least I'm not trying to learn how to be a traffic controller, though some days it can feel like that.

    As I said, you've come farther than most in that you're blogging and commenting and making public your challenges. Your students will appreciate your humility and willingness to learn all with the goal of helping them. We're out here to help you when you need it! Don't be afraid to ask :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your determination. Technology is challenging, but I am sure with some hard work you will prevail in this class. All teachers should have a willingness to learn. It is important for all teachers to continue educating themselves. I have a feeling that you will be a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete